working out right before bed good or bad

I have a tight schedule and it is impossible for me to find time to work out. And the only time I managed to find is before I hit the bed. But I don’t feel too good about doing it because I have heard people saying that it is not a good idea to do lifts or work out just before you go to sleep.

Can someone tell me if it would prove to be detrimental to my health? Or will it be of some benefit?

I don’t think it is a good idea to work out before bed time because it can cause you to stay awake. But it is better to train some time of the day rather than not train at all. So, if it is the only time you can spare, then go ahead and do it.

amy

Exercising just before bed will cause an elevation in cortisol levels of your body thereby increasing melatonin secretion too. So, that will cause you to stay awake. This is the only reason why people say it is not advisable to work out before you hit the bed.

Why don’t you try waking up early in the morning and work out instead of doing it at night. That is a much better option. Working out in the morning helps your body wake up and activates your metabolism too.

Why don’t you try waking up early in the morning and work out instead of doing it at night. That is a much better option. Working out in the morning helps your body wake up and activates your metabolism too.
I tried waking up in the morning and exercising for an hour but the problem is I am not a morning person. At times, I do manage to wake up but at other times, I blow it off. So, I thought the schedule would be easier for me to maintain if I did it at night rather than morning.

Exercising just before bed will cause an elevation in cortisol levels of your body thereby increasing melatonin secretion too. So, that will cause you to stay awake. This is the only reason why people say it is not advisable to work out before you hit the bed.
I don’t quite agree with if you work out at night you won’t manage to fall asleep thingy because it is the other way round for me. If I work out at night just before I hit the bed, it makes me so tired that all I want to do is crawl up to my bed. But I somehow take a shower, finish my meal and I don’t even know by the time I fall asleep. So, this helps me actually.

So, unless you are finding it difficult to fall asleep, do not go by what others have to say.

I don’t know about lifts but in my case when I do cardio at around 8 in the evening, then shower and eat a light dinner, I feel I am falling asleep at the dinner table. You get awesome sleep after cardio.

There is absolutely no harm in working out at night if you do not climb on to your bed immediately after that. It is actually great for your muscles. Do your work out, take a shower followed by some light meal or a warm glass of milk and you are ready to receive a good night’s sleep.

I never bother to take a shower after my evening workout because I feel so tired after that. And even though I feel tired and just want to sleep, I have never managed to get any sleep and I guess now I exactly know the reason why. It could be the lack of the warm shower and food inside my stomach.

I never bother to take a shower after my evening workout because I feel so tired after that. And even though I feel tired and just want to sleep, I have never managed to get any sleep and I guess now I exactly know the reason why. It could be the lack of the warm shower and food inside my stomach.
I feel surprised to know that you go off to sleep without taking a shower after a workout. That is never the right thing to do. You will sweat while you work out and that will have all kinds of germs. So, it is advisable to take and shower and wash off all the germs and go off to sleep fresh like a daisy.

Yes I feel bad for myself that I had been doing that all this while. I shall shower from now on after an evening workout. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will definitely heed to your advice.

I never felt that I was unable to sleep because of the workout but many a times, I have woken up hungry in the middle of the night. I guess I should have something to eat if I am working out. I skip that part. But I don’t feel like anything soon after a workout.

I would precisely say I work out at night but yes in the later part of the evening. I work out till 7:30ish and get back home all tired. As soon as I have my shower, I am as hungry as a monster but I watch my portions and once I am done eating, I simply can’t keep my eyes open after that. So, working out in the evening/night helps me get a good sleep.