How much sodium in egg white

Recently I came across an article which said egg whites had sodium in them. I always knew that the egg yolks had sodium in them but this piece of information surprised me. Since I could not manage to read the whole article, I still do not know the amount of sodium in it. So, can someone please help me with that?
And did you guys know about it earlier that egg whites have sodium because I seriously did not know about the same. And could having egg whites cause water retention in the body because of sodium in them? If yes, then I should limit my intake!
Your responses will be highly appreciated.

Yes, egg whites do contain sodium and it is not a new piece of information. It might sound new to you but actually it is not. And I don’t think there is any chance that sodium in egg whites could cause a bloat or water retention in your body.
You cannot completely cut down on sodium. It could hamper your health because your body does need certain amounts of sodium in order to keep functioning normally.

Egg whites contain natural sodium and not the added ones, so it would not have an ill effects on your health. You can go ahead having it. I guess a normal person can have around 4-5 egg whites or 2 whole eggs on a daily basis without any issues.

Okayyy…now this makes me think if the natural sodium present in egg whites have some effect on our blood pressure like in the case of those processed food products that have added salt? Or is it completely normal and healthy for us?

Sodium is naturally present in many food items and all you need to do is watch the amount of added salt you put in these food items like spinach, eggs, bok choy etc. That way you can maintain a balance between the two.

I have a different question here altogether – Is sea salt or rock salt better than table salt? How does it impact our health? What is the difference that makes either one of them, I guess sea salt here better than table salt?

Mojo

If you ask me, I would say at the end of the day, all of them have the same impact on our health and I repeat sodium is necessary for our organs to carry out its functions. If you try and avoid sodium in totality, you will be prone to low blood pressure and dizzy spells.
So, it is definitely important that you include sodium in specified amounts as a part of your diet.

Not including required amounts of sodium while making food was a mistake that my mom did when me and my siblings were kids. We were very disciplined, never ate out or got a chance to eat processed foods. I remember having fast foods, may be once or twice in 3 months.
We were almost vegans and never had meat or eggs or dairy on a regular basis even though we could afford and my mom made food without any salt most of the days or with very little salt.
And when I was around 14 years old, I got terrible cramps in my legs and abdominal area, so bad that I could not even move. There were also many occasions when I felt dizzy too.
It was when I was taken to the doctor that we got to know what the whole issue was about – very little sodium. And the doctor had to explain to my mother how necessary sodium was to a human body.
All these years she was under the impression that sodium was extremely bad for the body and could cause health problems. She was unaware that it played a significant role in our body functions.
So, I would recommend that you use moderate amounts of salt in the food you consume. And I have also heard that sea salt and kosher salt is better than the usual iodized table salt. We have always stuck to either sea salt or kosher salt since we started including sodium in our diet.

The amount of sodium in egg whites do not matter if your are restricting to 4 egg whites a day. But if you are on a protein diet and you have like 7-8 egg whites in a day, then it could be a matter of concern. It is then when the amount of sodium counts.
But our body needs sodium and the best way to have its intake is by consuming foods with natural sodium in them.

I recently switched to sea salt after an experiment that my friend asked me to do. I bought samples of sea salt and kosher salt. I already had iodized salt at home and I made use of that. I was taken aback after this experiment.
Reason – sea salt and kosher salt taste so natural when compared to the table salt that we usually use at home. The former two are so much better when compared to the third one.
It was that day I realized that sea salt was my favourite followed by kosher salt and I vowed never to touch table salt again. I suggest you too do the same, see the difference in tastes and you too might never go in for chemically processed iodized salt again.

I recently switched to sea salt after an experiment that my friend asked me to do. I bought samples of sea salt and kosher salt. I already had iodized salt at home and I made use of that. I was taken aback after this experiment.
Reason – sea salt and kosher salt taste so natural when compared to the table salt that we usually use at home. The former two are so much better when compared to the third one.
It was that day I realized that sea salt was my favourite followed by kosher salt and I vowed never to touch table salt again. I suggest you too do the same, see the difference in tastes and you too might never go in for chemically processed iodized salt again.
I shall definitely see how they taste. I have had sea salt chocolates before and they tasted pretty good with a mild salty taste to them. But I am glad to know that egg whites do not cause water retention and wouldn’t be a hindrance to my weight loss process.
At times, I have observed that if at all by mistake I add more salt to eggs or spinach, they taste saltier. I guess now I know the reason behind it.

I have been using kosher salt for cooking ever since I got to know that the iodized refined salt we get in the markets are bleached and undergo a lot of chemical processing. I do have to spend a little bit more on buying salt but when I think of mine and my family’s health, it feels totally worth every penny.